Due to a fire ignited by multiple lightning strikes on July 18, 2015, Bethlehem Baptist Church lost two-thirds of its facilities. Our location has changed for a while, but the God we serve is never-changing, and we are continuing in the mission to which He has called us!
We are excited about the plans for a new worship center, educational space, and family life center. It is our desire that these facilities will honor God, and that He will bless them to be powerful tools to impact our community and world for Jesus Christ now and for generations to come.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW FACILITY
- The new facility includes a new 9,000+ square foot Sanctuary that seats approximately 498 on the main floor. Seating for another 98 in the second level balcony and room for approximately 50 on the 900 square foot stage. The unique design of the sanctuary ensures that there is not a bad seat in the house.
- The new Baptistry will have restrooms and accommodations for dressing, and a new Prayer Room will have a dramatic view of the glass windows that help to form the cross in the front tower.
- The new Narthex flows into the new centralized Welcome Center with a large Information Counter and a large Coffee Bar for members and guests.
- The new 6,300 square foot Family Life Center will accommodate an 85' x 46' basketball court and a full size volleyball court. There will be a 600+ square foot Commercial Grade Kitchen and a large storage area for tables and chairs. The space will accommodate approximately 300+ for dining.
- The new facility includes a two story educational space with nearly 20,000 square feet of Administrative and Classroom space. A covered drive area allows for a protected are for the pick-up and drop-off of members and guests.
- A new entryway from the back parking area provides a central accessible entry for everyone. The new entry provides an elevator and stairway accessible to all floors both new and existing. It also provides a link from the new facility to the existing education and fellowship space. The second floor of the entry provides a 330 square foot lounge area filled with natural light.
- Multiple classrooms on the first level have exterior access with outdoor fenced play area.
- The new facility will have a new site entry from a stoplight at the existing intersection of NC Highway 127 and Teague Town Road.
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Moss-Marlow Building Company
ARCHITECT: Winstead Architecture PLLC
- July 18, 2015—Fire destroys two-thirds of Bethlehem Baptist Church facilities.
- July 19, 2015—Worship service in gym of Bethlehem Elementary School.
- September 20, 2015—Building Committee members approved by church body
- September 27, 2015—Building Committee holds first meeting
- October 2, 2015—First on-site meeting and walk through with ServPro
- October 11, 2015—Pastor Wayne Caviness shares vision for Bethlehem Baptist Church and a new facility
- October 12, 2015—Conversion of Youth House first floor for nursery and younger children begins
- October 14, 2015—Conversion of Youth House basement for youth begins
- October 16 & 23, 2015—Building Committee interviews three architectural candidates
- October 22, 2015—Constructional Engineer from CATCON inspects Educational Building for structural integrity
- November 11, 2015—Independent Structural Engineer contacted regarding structural integrity Educational Building
- November 15, 2015—Winstead Architecture selected by Building Committee
- December 20, 2015—First service held at home campus of Bethlehem Baptist Church.
- December 30, 2015—Building Committee meets with Moss-Marlow and Winstead Architecture
- January 10, 2016—Needs Analysis Survey by Dr. Wayne Hollar presented to Building Committee
- February 23, 2016—Contract signed with Moss-Marlow for demolition of old sanctuary and education wing, and design of a new facility.
- March 4, 2016—Demolition of old sanctuary begins.
- March 18, 2016—Demolition of old education wing begins.
- April 5, 2016—Cross statue removed from current site.
- April 21, 2016—Cross statue erected in front lawn of youth house.
- April 24, 2016—Chest of Joash offering
- July 17, 2016—Architectural renderings of proposed construction revealed to church family.
- July 20, 2016—Churchwide Question & Answer Session
- September 22, 2016—New facility site drawings completed by civil engineer
- September 28, 2016—Finalization of negotiated settlement for sanctuary with Cincinnati Insurance
- October 17, 2016—Civil engineer hired to design signal light main entrance
- November 19, 2016—Moss-Marlow receives working drawings for new construction.
- November 21, 2016—Signal Agreement contract received from NCDOT
- February 3, 2017—Building Committee plan review meeting with Moss-Marlow
- March 1, 2017—Building Committee presentation at Bethlehem Baptist Church Conference
- June 11, 2017—Celebration Sunday for groundbreaking ceremony, worship and fellowship meal
- June 19, 2017—Construction Loan secured with People's Bank.